Friday 25 March 2011

Review: The Sweetest Thing - Jill Shalvis



The Sweetest Thing by Jill Shalvis.


Two Men Are One Too Many . . .


Tara has a thousand good reasons not to return to the little coastal town of Lucky Harbor, Washington. Yet with her life doing a major crash-and-burn, anywhere away from her unfulfilled dreams and sexy ex-husband will do. As Tara helps her two sisters get their newly renovated inn up and running, she finally has a chance to get things under control and come up with a new plan for her life.

But a certain tanned, green-eyed sailor has his own ideas, such as keeping Tara hot, bothered . . . and in his bed. And when her ex wants Tara back, three is a crowd she can't control-especially when her deepest secret reappears out of the blue. Now Tara must confront her past and discover what she really wants. If she's lucky, she might just find that everything her heart desires is right here in Lucky Harbor.


This is the second book in Jill Shalvis's Lucky Harbour series and of course I loved it. Show me a Jill Shalvis novel that I don't love - I doubt you would find it.

Maddie, Tara and Chloe's mother dies and leaves them an old inn instead of selling they decide to stick around and see if they can make it work. The first book, Simply Irresistible, was about the middle sister Maddie, The Sweetest Thing focuses on the eldest sister Tara.

Judging from the first book I thought I would struggle to like Tara as she seemed kind of cold and judgemental but once I started reading and saw what she was really like and what she had been through I found myself warming up to her. Ford I loved from the beginning, he was such a good guy and so perfect for Tara. I even liked the addition of Logan the ex-husband, usually I hate love triangles but this one was just funny. Logan, of course never really stood a chance but the competition between him and Ford - which the town takes more seriously via facebook than the men themselves do - had some great moments.

I even loved the sub-plot of the daughter they gave up for adoption turning up and her relationship with Carlos, it was very cute and was a good parallel to what happened between Tara and Ford in the past. Plus it was a great catalyst to get them back together.

Jill Shalvis writes the perfect blend of heart and humour and it gets me every time. I am really looking forward to the next book, Head Over Heels, which will focus on the wild child younger sister Chloe and the straight laced Police chief Sawyer, it sounds like it's going to be a good one.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I'm on the edge about this one... I've been thinking of buying it as an ebook instead of the actual book itself. I'm glad to hear that you didn't have difficulty warming up to Tara!! and I'm glad that the love triangle was okay... I usually really hate those as well :(

    So after reading your review, I guess I'm definitively picking this up :)

    ReplyDelete