Wednesday 23 March 2011

Review: The Liar Society - Lisa & Laura Roecker



The Liar Society by Lisa & Laura Roecker.

Since when do the dead send emails?

Kate Lowry's best friend Grace died a year ago. So when she gets an email from her, Kate's more than a little confused.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)
Kate,
I'm here... sort of.
Find Cameron. He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell. They'll hurt you.

Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace's death was more than just a tragic accident. She teams up with a couple of knights-in-(not-so)-shining armor-the dangerously hot bad boy, Liam, and her lovestruck neighbor, Seth. But at their elite private school, there are secrets so big people will do anything to protect them-even if it means getting rid of anyone trying to solve a murder...



So after having finished this book I have one question - is there going to be a sequel? I really hope so because they kind of left it all unresolved at the end and I'm not a fan of the unresolved.

The Liar Society is a mystery story set in a posh private school. Kate's best friend has died in a mysterious fire and she is struggling to come to terms with it. After receiving an email from her supposedly dead best friend she sets off on a crazy investigation with her next door neighbour and a new love interest to find out what really happened to Grace.

I loved the characters in this book they all had very distinct personalities. I liked how even though everyone thinks she is crazy Kate never gives up, she wants justice and I admire that. I liked her love interest Liam, I knew he was going to be a good guy I just couldn't figure out what was going on with him. The big surprise was how much I liked Kate's side-kick Seth, usually I would find a character like that quite annoying but he surprised me with how into the whole mystery he got and how willing he was to help Kate. Plus I did go through a phase when I was younger where I was really into conspiracy theories, I totally tried to convince my Dad that the whole Luna Landing thing was fake, so I could kind of relate to Seth.

The book did kind of drag a little in the middle, the characters were just sort of circling around the same clues and nothing more was being revealed. But it did pick up closer to the end and what happened was quite unexpected. I haven't read many books about secret societies but if they are all like the ones in this books it's probably a good thing. But I really hope there will be a second book, I hate injustice of any kind and I really hope to see Kate get some for Grace.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds good .. I can't wait to read this one !! This secret society thing seems quite uncommon for a YA book !! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just won and received this book. I actually hadn't been seeing reviews of it, and your review has me excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete