Monday 14 March 2011

Review: City of Glass - Cassandra Clare

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare.


Amid the chaos of war, the Shadowhunters must decide to fight with the vampires, werewolves and other Downworlders - or against them. Meanwhile, Jace and Clary have their own decision to make: should they pursue the love they know is forbidden?

WOW - how exciting was this book! So again I can't really go into too much detail as it will totally ruin it for anyone who had not read this series yet so I will keep it quite general.

City of Glass had kind of a slow start which was unexpected as the first two books were pretty much non-stop action but I suppose things had to calm down for a little while. Things soon started to get crazy again and I was literally on the edge of my seat for most of the book.

City of Glass mostly takes place in the Shadowhunter home, Alicante. It was nice after all the mentions in the previous books to finally go there, it was not what I was expecting. I think I was expecting more of a presence from the Clave and the Council, I got the impression from the first two books that they were this huge all powerful enitiy but I didn't feel that when we were actually shown them. It was only when they were joined by the Downworlders that I felt they could be something more.

City of Glass made it official as much as I love Jace and therefore Clary and their cute togetherness, Alec and Magnus became my favourite couple of this series - there were two scenes specifically that I loved so much - they were so cute and funny.

Again Jace just broke my heart in this book, seriously how much can one person go through in a few weeks and still be OK at the end of it. Although Clary is supposed to be the main character for me these books are all about Jace, he is the most likeable and well written character in the series. And lets just say for the record Sebastian - totally creepy.

This was actually a great trilogy and I am wondering why Cassandra Clare felt the need to write a second trilogy based on the same characters, shifting focus to secondary characters I could understand. But hey I shouldn't complain just because I like the nice neat tidy ending of City of Glass doesn't mean I won't like the second trilogy.

So City of Fallen Angels is out in a few weeks and I am still undecided as to whether or not I am going to read it straight away. Although it took me years to read this trilogy I am very glad I waited so I could read them one after the other - I kind of want to do that for the next trilogy. But I suppose I'll see how it goes when I actually have the book in my hands.


That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment