Wednesday 16 March 2011

Review: Clarity - Kim Harrington


Clarity by Kim Harrington.

Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?



Clarity is an awesome murder mystery with a dash of paranormal thrown into the mix. It's a fast paced quick read that I pretty much read in one sitting.

The main focus of the book is not so much the psychic side of things but on the murder mystery, although we did get to see Clare and her mother and brother do some psychic readings. I didn't expect the crime solving aspect to be quite so official, usually the psychic goes off on their own to investigate the crime but in this book the Mayor asks Clare to look into the crime and she even gets a partner.

I don't usually do the whole "team" thing but in this case I have to be team Gabriel, the son of the new chief of police and her crime solving partner. I just couldn't like Justin, the son of the mayor, however nice he may be what he did in my eyes is totally unforgivable and I really don't like him and Clare together.

Clare's mother appears to a bit flakey so I get her dependence on her brother, Perry, and why she goes to such great lengths to protect him. I think it would have been nice for Clare to have a girl friend, just so Clare could have someone to talk to because it felt like she was missing out on that but with Clare's abilities I suppose it's a bit difficult.

My mind was working overtime throughout the entire book trying to figure out who the killer was. I sort of had it figured out and I sort of didn't - can't really say any more without giving to much away but let's just say I was looking in the right direction. I have a few ideas and feelings about other people including the mysterious predictions of the fortune teller and her missing father, but I assume this will all play out in further books in this series. I believe the second book is called Perception, and will be coming out next year.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Clarity! It was such an awesome murder mystery with a dash of the paranormal! I thought Kim Harrington did a great job keeping her readers on their toes regarding who the murderer was...

    I can't decide which team to join. Both boys have their faults but they also both have their sides that make me like them.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete