Thursday 10 March 2011

Review: City of Ashes - Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare.

With her mother in a coma and her father hellbent on destroying the world, Clary Fray is dragged deeper into New York City's terrifying underworld of werewolves, demons and the mysterious Shadowhunters. Discovering the truth about her past was only the beginning. Now the fate of the world rests on Clary's shoulders, but can she master her new-found powers and control her feelings for a boy who can never be hers?

So there are some crazy descriptions of City of Ashes out there that basically tell you the whole plot of the book so I went with the blurb on the back instead.

City of Ashes is as action packed as City of Bones. I can't decide which I like better, they are both awesome. The story continues from where the last book left off. I'm not going to give to much away incase you haven't read it yet but I will give you some random thoughts.

Jace has a rough time from beginning to end in this book, he really gets kicked around by everyone and I felt very bad for him. I'm really hoping he can catch a break in the next book (but I doubt it). Clary is still kind of irritating me, as much as I don't like Simon (which I don't btw - very annoying - although he had grown on me slightly by the end of the book) I don't like Clary using him and using the feelings he has for her to make herself feel better.

I like that there actually adults in this book, in lots of YA books the adults are conveniently absent but in this series they seem to be around quite a bit. OK granted they are mostly useless (the Lightwoods) or evil (Valentine) but at least they are a presence and it isn't just a bunch of teenagers running around doing everything on their own. And actually apart from Jace, Luke and Magnus Bane are my favourite characters.

I have to say one of the things I like most about this series is that it makes me laugh, sometimes intentionally sometimes not. Despite all the serious and heartbreaking things going on there is still a lot of humour and I like that.

I am very very glad I waited until all three books were out before reading them because there is no way I would have been able to handle the wait, I have already started the third book City of Glass. Even now I have already begun to worry about the few weeks wait before book fourth comes out. Should I even read it when it comes out? Or should I wait until the fifth and sixth books are out too? Especially since the sixth book won't be out until September 2013! That is a really long time to wait. Decisions, decisions.

That's all for now.

4 comments:

  1. Great review =)
    I love the cover if this one !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS SERIES! I read them all consecutively, and then moved on to Clockwork Angel right after (and I wish I hadn't. The next one isn't out until October or something lol).

    If I were in your shoes, there would be no way I could NOT read #4 as soon as it comes out...too much media buzz going on for me to resist ;)
    But if you choose to not read it yet, more power to ya. You're a stronger woman than I! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys - we'll see how strong I am once I actually get the book in my hands. I may not be able to resist.
    Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started this one, but haven't finished it yet. I think that part of my reason behind that was because I was kind of annoyed at the way Clary was using Simon. I sort of felt bad for him in book 1, so I ended up getting really frustrated. I'll have to give it another try. Thanks for the non-spoilery review :)

    ReplyDelete