Friday 1 April 2011

Review: My One and Only - Kristan Higgins


I received My One and Only by Kristan Higgins from netgalley courtesy of Harlequin.

Divorce attorney Harper James can't catch a break. Bad enough that she runs into her ex-hubby, Nick, at her sister's destination wedding, but now, by a cruel twist of fate, she's being forced to make a cross-country road trip with him. And her almost-fiancé back at home is not likely to be sympathetic.

Harper can't help that Nick has come blazing back into her life in all of his frustratingly appealing, gorgeous architect glory. But in Nick's eyes, Harper's always been the one. If they can only get it right this time, forever might be waiting—just around the bend.

I have read almost all of Kristan Higgins previous novels and I am a big fan, she writes easy to read funny contemporary romance. I knew I was probably going to like this one before I read it as it combines a few of my favourite things. One of them being where the main characters are separated or divorced and the book is about them getting back together. I have no idea why this is such a big thing for me, my parents are still married so it's not like I have any latent Parent Trap style dreams (although when I first saw the movie I totally wanted my parents to split up so I could create some elaborate plan to get them back together - OK maybe I do have some Parent Trap desires). Plus this book involves a road trip and there is nothing I love more in a book than a road trip!!!

The main characters have a long complex history which we get the to see through some awesome flashbacks. It makes the love story far more realistic if you get to see how it has developed in the past rather than if they have only know each other for a couple of weeks. Harper and Nick's relationship unfolds in the present and the past. My One and Only is a little different from Kristan Higgins previous books, it has a little more edge. Her characters usually have charmed family lives and are pretty upbeat but in this one not so much, both Harper and Nick have unsettled family lives and as a result Harper is very cynical but understandably so, Nick is a bit more positive and the characters play well off of each other.

The secondary characters really make Kristan Higgins books that much more awesome. From Harper's hilarious stepmother to her dopey almost fiance, the characters really stand out. I was worried about how Nick and Harper were going to work things out because they both had such different lives and big commitments so I was happy to see the little epilogue at the end which assured me it all works out for them.

I will without a doubt be getting all of Kristan Higgins future books and recommend all her previous ones as they are excellent contemporary romance novels.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment