Thursday 21 April 2011

Booking Through Thursday 14


Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme which asks a bookish question which you have to answer. This weeks question is:

CAN you judge a book by its cover?


No you most definitely cannot judge a book by it's cover. A cover can sometimes tell you the genre but it can never tell you how good or bad a book is going to be. I think it's terrible to judge a book by it's cover but I know many people do it.

I myself have never bought or rejected a book based on it's cover. I buy books because I like the description or because it's by an author I love and will read anything they write. Sometimes I buy a book because I have read a really great review but I don't do this too often because everyone has different tastes and just because someone else hated it doesn't mean I wouldn't love it and vice versa.

However I will say that a really great cover can get my attention but I would never just look at the cover and say I must have that book I would have to read the description and then decide.

So for an example here is a cover that caught my attention recently.


I love the cover of Dearly Departed but I wouldn't have put it on my wishlist if I hadn't read the awesome summary that goes with it.










That's all for now.

11 comments:

  1. I have and am learning to not just pick by cover through the arcs I receive. I would have missed some great books too had I not read the summary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wioth you. Never rejected or bought a book by its cover. They are ridiculously misleading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I'm guilty of being attracted to books because of the cover, and even buying them just because I'm attracted. I know it's foolish, but sometimes I'm very very weak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great points...thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you know, I am guilty of picking books by their covers. (: I'm working to become better at it though!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't agree more! Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearly Departed is a cool cover -- kind of romantic and sarcastic at the same time! Not an easy thing to pull off.
    http://www.joyweesemoll.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answer...I completely agree with you. You really can't judge a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with on that cover...way too hot for me! It would take a good blurb for me to actually open it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi sally. thanks for stopping by our WoW post. i agree with you about covers. it's the cover that catches my eye first and makes me pick up a book to read the blurb but there are many whose covers do not match the story/how good it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you, you can't judge a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete