Thursday 14 April 2011

Booking Through Thursday 13


Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme which asks a bookish question which you have to answer. This weeks question is:

In a related question to last week’s–

I was reading the other day a quote from JFK Jr who said on the death of his mother, that she died surrounded by family, friends, and her books. Apparently, Jackie’s books were very much a part of HER, her personality, her sense of self.

Up until recently, people could browse your bookshelves and learn a lot about you–what your interests are, your range of topics, favorite authors, how much you read (or at least buy books).

More and more, though, this is changing. People aren’t buying books so much as borrowing them from the library. Or reading them on their e-readers or computers. There’s nothing PHYSICAL on the shelves to tell strangers in your home, for better or worse, who you ARE.

Do you think this is a good thing? Bad? Discuss!

When I die they are going to say the cause of death was my books as in they fell on top of me while I was sleeping and crushed me. Books have always been a part of my life and always will be. I may have a kindle now but I will never stop buying in real life books. In fact I probably buy even more books now than I used to, the same amount of in real life books with kindle books just added on top.

Hardly anybody comes in to my room to see my books anyway so I don't really think that actually looking at my books gives you a sense of my personality. I think it's more the way books have changed and shaped me that's more important than the physical aspect. Besides my books are so crazy diverse I don't think they really tell you much about my personality except for the fact that I am hugely bookish and that they rule my life.

That's all for now.

18 comments:

  1. Book buying addicts for life, haha. (: Great answer, happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, death by book...not so bad a fate ;) I do agree that it's about what's actually written, I suppose it's just hard for me to compare since I don't have an e-reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, collapsing bookshelves are pretty scary. It happened to my sister, thanfully she wasn't in the bed at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still the prefer the actual book.

    stop and see mine and my giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Death by book, i almost have the same problem, but when it comes to books its like not books as well,

    the Book mystress, xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have my bookshelves fastened to the wall, so they won't fall on me. Funny sight for sure!!! I wonder what people think of me when they see my bookshelves, but at my age I really don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was laughing out loud when I read your presumed cause of death because the amount of books stacked around my bed could cause the very same!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL!! That's a lot of books!
    Natalie :0)
    http://www.thebookinn.net/2011/04/thursday-memes.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always say that too - that when I go it'll be because my books have tumbled in on me and crushed me. And what a way to go... It must be a book addict thing, one of my most enthusiastic customers said the same thing the first time he came into the shop! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, great post, I love the bit where books will be the cause of death! Better not sleep too close to your massive piles of books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, I have all my books above my bed too :P. I agree with you, even though I do read ebooks, I will never like them the same way I love paper-bound ones. I love buying books - I don't think I could ever stop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your take on this issue...and the image of the books falling down made me chuckle, as I've often thought I might suffer that fate.

    As for naming my Kindle, I got the idea when Sheila (Book Journey) named her Nook Snookie.

    I couldn't think of a name on my own, so I had a contest on one of my blogs for naming the Kindle.

    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think books will survive e-readers too. Thanks for visiting my BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm intrigued that your book selection is so diverse that you think it wouldn't give any clues as to your personality. Perhaps it is the very diverseness that would give clues?

    Anyway - good answer :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always been afraid the books would fall on me. LOL Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crushed by books! LOL

    http://readawaytheday.blogspot.com//

    ReplyDelete
  17. That thing about your books crushing you made me laugh. But yeah, books whether they be ebooks or printed books are true treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not a huge fan of ereaders having tried one but I can see their positive aspects (such as preventing death by book avalanche, lol). If I travelled for work like I used to I would purchase one and I think I would find myself addicted to buying books that way too.

    Whilst I love to look through peoples books it's more to see if we have anything in common or to discover a new author myself. That and I am incredibly nosey. Like you I am not actually sure what my collection would say about me. I have such a vast range of fiction and non fiction. I go through phases of what subjects I read most of and it changes every year or so.

    ReplyDelete