Thursday 7 April 2011

Booking Through Thursday 12


Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme which asks a bookish question which you have to answer. This weeks question is:

So … the books that you own (however many there may be) … do you display them proudly right there in plain sight for all the world to see? (At least the world that comes into your living room.)

Or do you keep them tucked away in your office or bedroom or library or closet or someplace less “public?”

I live with my parents so all my books have to live in my bedroom. I have at a guess about 2000 books and my bedroom is not all that big so it's pretty much a bed surrounded by giant piles of books. I have three bookcases but you can't actually see them because there are giant stacks of books in front of them. I have books under my bed, in my walk in wardrobe, in my chest of draws, on my window ledge, on my chair and stacks on my desk. It's pretty out of control, once I buy a book it's mine forever and I can't seem to let them go plus I am a big re-reader. Everyone in my family knows how crazy I am about my books so they tend to avoid my room and would never touch them without my permission. Eventually if I ever get the chance to move out of my parents house I imagine beautiful floor to ceiling bookcases that go all the way around the room where I can have lovely neat shelves. With my stacks being the way they are at the moment it takes me half a day to find the book I want and then the rest of the day to straighten out the mess I have made finding said book. I long for alphabetically ordered shelves. I would take some pictures and post them here but you would all be horrified - I mean I live with it and even I'm horrified sometimes.

That's all for now.

19 comments:

  1. I also dream of having a floor to ceiling bookcase! I get what you mean about not having the heart to let go of your books. They're like my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, when I'm older I will definitely get a couple of big huge bookcases! Most of my books are in my room, but some are in the living room cause there isn't enough space. My parents won't let me get a second bookshelf, so theres books everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day you'll get your floor-to-ceiling bookcases... we book addicts always do, in the end, I think! I know what you mean about getting in a muddle trying to find a book - I have a load of books in a big, deep built-in wardrobe and usually the one I want is on the last shelf I try, at the back, so I end up with swathes of books tumbling across the floor, piles stacked up that I then bump into, or the cat rubs at the middle of the stack and the whole lot falls over... *facepalm*
    I wish you'd take some pictures of the madness - it sounds like the best kind of horrific! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see your room, it sounds like a bookie's dream world, I do keep my books on shelves, the pictures I posted today only shows a small part of my books. We have bookshelves in every room of our house, I would be lost without my bookshelves. I do share my books with others and I donate some to the library, and also sell some to a second hand bookstore. It helps keep some control in an otherwise cluttered world of books.

    Thanks for visiting My Reading Corner today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I would be in heaven in your room.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

    Yara @ Once Upon a Twilight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're like me. I would love to have them all prettily displayed but just lack the space. Piling seems to be the safer method.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have shelves in every room...I also have my TBR stacks here and there, in my bedroom and in my office.

    Here's MY BTT POST

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOl, that's a lot of books :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to show mine off. Check out my response for this week's Booking Through Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My room at my parents house wasn't quite that full, but not far from. Now we have books all over the place, and keep getting more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you get your dream library room. Only those that love books can understand how important such a room is to us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like to have my books near me, too. Thanks for stopping by my BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that's volume, over 2000 books. That is a book lover's dream.

    stop and see mine and my giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that sounds like a lot of books to keep in just a bedroom! Hope it won't be too long before you can get a place of your own with lots of shelves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reminds me of the bookshelves in Inkheart...if you've read that book ;)

    http://readawaytheday.blogspot.com/2011/04/booking-through-thursday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want a library one day. I'll need it, and sounds like you might, too! (And that's totally ok.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I keep all my books in the guest room and den, but they are really taking up so much room!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All my books live in my bedroom and in stacks at that. I'm also a re-reader and well, I also have problems finding the book that I want to read (within the stacks). Admittedly I don't think an alphabetical system would do me much good; eventually everything gets out of order again. xD I'm a new follower! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoa. Sounds like a lot of books. Mine are on a book shelf and I try to trade and pass along so my shelf doesn't get out of control.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete