Friday 1 April 2011

Review: Such A Pretty Girl - Laura Wiess


Such A Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess.

They promised Meredith nine years of safety, but only gave her three.


Her father was supposed to be locked up until Meredith turned eighteen. She thought she had time to grow up, get out, and start a new life. But Meredith is only fifteen, and today her father is coming home from prison.

Today her time has run out.

I was rearranging some of my books the other day and found Such A Pretty Girl amongst the stacks. I have been seeing her latest book, Ordinary Beauty, which is out in June around the blogosphere lately and I thought now would be a good time to get started with her work see if I like it.

I read the book in one sitting. It's not a long book but it is a very powerful one, one that you can't seem to look away from. There were many times when reading this book where I felt physically sick, it's not an easy book to read but I am glad I did.

It was really just a small glimpse into the life of a victim of child abuse. Meredith thought she was free of her father and his abuse but he gets out of prison and comes back home. Her mother turns a blind eye to everything and is intent on keeping her husband. Meredith has few friends that she can rely upon, but maybe more then she realizes in the end.

I found the mothers behavior abhorrent and I find it very hard to believe that someone would be like that in real life but I suppose it happens I just wish that it didn't. The situation Meredith found herself in, her convicted paedophile father being allowed back into her life in any way a little far fetched, I really really hope the justice system is a little better than this in real life.

But what really made the book for me was Meredith and what a great voice she had. She was far stronger than anyone gave her credit for and was fully aware of what would happen to her if she didn't do what she knew she had to. I can only hope that I would have her strength in that kind of situation

This isn't an easy read, it's disturbing and harsh but it's well worth it in the end. Laura Wiess has several other books already published and I will definitely be catching up before her next book comes out.

That's all for now.

3 comments:

  1. I just requested this book from my library. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally

    You won my 200 Follower giveaway. I just tried to email you using the email address you provided and it was returned undelivered. I checked it against the one you have up there on your page but I can't see anything wrong. Please can you contact me at theslowestbookworm(at)gmail(dot)com to claim your prize. Thanks, K.

    ReplyDelete