Friday 15 April 2011

Review: Scorpia Rising - Anthony Horowtiz


Scorpia Rising by Anthony Horowitz.

Scorpia has dogged Alex Rider for most of his life. They killed his parents, they did their best to con Alex into turning traitor, and they just keep coming back with more power. Now the world's most dangerous terrorist organization is playing with fire in the world's most combustible land: the Middle East. No one knows Scorpia like Alex. And no one knows how best to get to Alex like Scorpia. Until now.

The chases have never been more intense, the fights more treacherous, or the risks so perilous to mankind. And this time, Alex won't get away.



I have been reading the Alex Rider series for 10 years and I have loved every minute of it. This is the final book in the series and I am very sad to see it come to an end.

The series is about reluctant teenage spy Alex Rider recruited by MI:6 to go undercover where only teenagers can go. If you want to know more you will have to go back to the beginning and read the first book to find out how Alex came to be in this unlikely situation. By this the ninth book Alex has turned 15 and has been out of the spy game for a few months but of course he gets dragged back in. He, along with everyone else, is being manipulated by his old enemy Scorpia. What follows is Alex's most harrowing and difficult journey yet.

I know these books aren't aimed at me at 26 year old girl but I don't really care. I am an action girl at heart and these books provide me with a massive amount of it. There's car/bike chases, snipers, kidnappings, assassination attempts, exploding boats and all sorts of crazy goings on. What's not to love.

The thing that keeps me coming back time and time again to these books is Alex, the character is so endearing that you can't help but root for him and want to follow along on his journey. He is no different in this book, although he wants out of the spy game he feels that if there's anything he can do to help he must.

OK so I saw the death coming from a mile off but still even after it happened I just sat there in shock thinking how can this happen why would the author do this. The ending was very bittersweet and while not completely satisfying I felt it was quite fitting for the series in general.

Now that the series is over I want to gather all the books together and read them one after the other that's how much I love this series. I'm looking forward to seeing what Anthony Horowitz writes next.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. I agree about the death, I just KNEW who was going to die, but I was still :O when it happened. I still haven't written a review for this despite reading it ages ago! I have too much to say I guess. Glad you enjoyed it - and I also agree with you on the ending - not completely satisfying, but very fitting (and just like, wow).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. The cover is creepy to me. My son came home with an emperor scorpion and it didn't stay here long. Horrible looking things.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete