Wednesday 12 January 2011

Booking Through Thursday



Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme which asks a bookish question which you have to answer.

This weeks question is:

Do you remember the first book you bought for yourself? Or the first book you checked out of the library? What was it and why did you choose it?

This is an impossible question for me. I barely remember what I read last week let alone what the first book I bought was. I started reading when I was about four. I am lucky enough to have a Mum who reads a lot so books were everywhere when I was growing up, my older sister and I had a massive collection of children's books and fairy tales. Every Saturday morning my Mum and I would go to our local library and check out some books. The limit back then was 14 so I used to max out my library card and then put extras on my Mum's as she only used to get six books. We would do this every week and when I got a bit older I would check out adult books on my Mum's card. It was quite a small library so I think I managed to read every children and young adult book they had.
In terms of buying books I didn't really get into that until I got my first job and actually had money to buy them - now I have way to many. But I do remember a time when I was about 14 going into one of those discount book shops and buying the first three Laurell K Hamilton Anita Blake books - I was totally obsessed with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and loved anything vampire related back then. I didn't actually get round to reading them until a few years later which in hindsight was probably a good thing.
My favourite author when I was growing up was Enid Blyton - I still have all her books, they live on a bookcase that is just for the books I read when I was younger. The first three Famous Five books in a special omnibus edition was definitely the first book I received as a gift The book is so worn out because I have read it so many times.
I know I didn't really answer the question but honestly my memory is not that good and it's the best I can do.
I think I may have hit my limit with memes for now, I think three a week is enough and I will try my very best to actually do them every week.

So going back to work has meant I haven't been reading as much. I am still in the middle of Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead but have taken a slight detour, I just started re-reading The Search by Nora Roberts. I don't know why but I've just been wanting to re-read it for a while now and last night I started it. It probably wasn't a good idea to read Shadow Kiss straight after Frostbite, I should have spread them out a bit. I will go back to Shadow Kiss when I finish The Search.
That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment