Tuesday 8 February 2011

Review: Deadly Fear - Cynthia Eden

Deadly Fear by Cynthia Eden.

TWO BRILLIANT AGENTS


FBI Special Agent Monica Davenport has made a career out of profiling serial killers. But getting inside the twisted minds of the cruel and the sadistic has taken its toll: She's walled herself off from the world. Yet Monica can't ignore fellow agent Luke Dante, the only man who ever broke through her defenses.

ONE DREAM TEAM

Luke has the unique ability to put victims at ease...professionally, he and Monica made a perfect team. Now they're reunited to catch a murderer who uses his victims' deepest, darkest fears for sport - but their investigative skills aren't enough. Luke and Monica will have to face the secrets from their past, the ones that terrify them the most, if they are to have a future together.

But can they catch a killer whose weapon is...DEADLY FEAR


Deadly Fear is the start of a new romantic suspense series by Cynthia Eden, it is the first book that I have read by her and it won't be the last.


Monica and Luke are Special Agents in a special FBI unit dedicated to catching serial killers, the Serial Services Division. Luke is new on the team but has a past with Monica. They are assigned a case together which becomes very personal for both of them.

This book was really great. I love when characters have a past before the beginning of the book it always makes a romance seem more believable to me, rather than two characters meeting and falling in love in a matter of days we get more of a slow build up. The romance was a bit predictable (but then I suppose it always is in a romance novel) but it progressed quite naturally. Both main characters had a traumatic past to overcome, Monica's in particular was quite harrowing. She came off as quite cold because of this so it took a while to warm up to her, but she ended up as likeable as Luke. Together they seemed like the perfect fit.

The suspense element of the novel was very well done. There were so many twists, turns and complications that I did not figure out who the killer was until they was revealed at the end of the book. The final show down with the killer was one of my favourite parts.

I have to say there was one thing I didn't really like about this book, Luke's speciality as an FBI Special Agent was supposed to be his skills in dealing with the victims but we never got to see any of that. We got to see lots of Monica getting inside the killers head but not enough of Luke and it made the story seem quite unbalanced to me. But that's just a small detail, overall I really enjoyed Deadly Fear.

There are two more books in this series coming out this year, Deadly Heat (which was released this month) and Deadly Lies (which I think comes out next month) that focus on different members of the SSD. I will be getting both.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. I have a couple of her books I think - one in print and one on my ereader. It's a scary thing when I lose track of books I've bought. I'll have to make the ebook next one up! As for the print one - I'm not quite sure where it is at the moment. It could be on a shelf in the living room or packed away in a box somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of her to be honest. But it seems to be like an action-romance perhaps? Great review and I am your new follower! Happy Reading!^^

    ReplyDelete