Monday 2 May 2011

Review: Dead Is Not An Option - Marlene Perez


I received Dead Is Not An Option by Marlene Perez from netgalley courtesy of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

There are four previous books in the Dead Is series Dead Is the New Black, Dead Is a State of Mind, Dead Is So Last Year and Dead Is Just a Rumor all of them are fantastic and the latest Dead Is Not An Option is no exception.

The Dead Is series is about Daisy Giordano and her crazy little town called Nightshade. As the name suggests Nightshade is not your normal town. It is populated with all sorts of paranormal creatures from vampires and werewolves to witches and mermaids. Daisy, her sisters, and their Mother are all psychic and they use their abilities to solve mysteries. Their father was kidnapped by a shadowy group called the Scourge who exist to rid the world of paranormals. Daisy, her family and pretty much all her friends are paranormals so this means they fight the Scourge.

This book centres around a brewing Vampire werewolf fight, Daisy’s boyfriend Ryan is a werewolf and her sister’s boyfriend is a vampire so there is a lot of tension. Running parallel to the mystery aspect of this book is the fact that Daisy has come the end of high school and she must figure out what she is going to do now and what is going to happen with her relationship with Ryan.

Dead is Not an Option flies along at a really fast past as there is so much action which is probably why I read it in one sitting. While there are many different aspects to the story which could make it complicated Marlene Perez makes it very light and easy to read.

I love the fact that everyone is aware of all the mysterious happenings in Nightshade, there are so many other books where everything is kept a secret which makes things unnecessarily difficult, the Dead Is series is not like that. Instead everyone is in on the secret and is willing to help each other out.

I don’t want to give to much away but there is an incident near the end of the book that I did not see coming and if I am being honest the book would have been better with out it. However the incident was used in a way to keep two characters together so I suppose I can live with it.

I didn’t realize going into this book that this is the last book to feature Daisy as the main character, at least I assume it is because it seemed that way in the end. I got the feeling that there maybe other books set in Nightshade with a new lead character, I don’t know for certain but I really hope so.

I recommend you read the first four books in the series before reading this one because a lot of past plot lines are involved in this book. But it would be totally worth your time. This is definitely a series I will be re-reading.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment